Tuesday 29 July 2014

Food

In the cold conditions, and with the extra effort of pushing into the wind I ate a lot.

  • Most of my food I bought in London which was much cheaper
  • I only bought some basics at Bonus in Reykjavik. They had quite a good selection of most things except no powdered milk. So if you want that get it elsewhere.
  • I bought a bit of "heavy" food to consume directly at Lake Myvatn and a couple of extra packs of bread. Just as well as I had more or less finished all my food (except absolute emergency stuff) by the next resupply.

If you get tired of having the same thing every day then these considerations might help:

  • "Food is just fuel, so get over it" - my mantra for solving this problem in NZ
  • Much of the world eats more or less the same thing every day, when they can.
  • Be very very glad it is not "Penguin cooked in Seal Blubber". Try living on that for 3 months and see how you like it!
  • Oh, so suddenly "Couscous à  l'Islande" doesn't seem so bad after all!

For what it is worth my daily menu is as follows:

  • Breakfast
    • Muesli, Powdered Milk
    • Bread, Cheese, Vegemite (+)
    • Biscuits
  • Lunch
    • Bread, Cheese, Vegemite, Basil Pesto
    • Soup, Potato Flakes, Garlic, Vegetable Stock Cubes, Spices(^)
  • Snacks
    • Fruit and Grain Bars
    • Nuts - Cashew, Almonds
    • Dried Fruit - Prunes, Figs, Apricots, Raisins
  • Drinks
    • Chai - Tea bags, Chai spices (#), Fresh Ginger, Powdered Milk
    • Cocoa, Powdered Milk
  • Dinners 
    • Pasta - Cheese Tortellini, Tomato concentrate, Spices, Garlic - 2 days only
    • Cous cous, Soup, Garlic, Vegetable Stock Cubes, Spices(^), Tomato concentrate, Raisins
  • Dessert - Apple and Custard (I was given this in the middle of nowhere)
  • Condiments - Salt, Fresh Garlic, Fresh Ginger, Spices, Olive Oil in two 50ml bottles

+ If you don't already know what Vegemite is then it is probably wise to keep it that way!
^ I had a bag of Organic Vegetable Masala powder from Nepal
# I had a bag of Organic Chai Masala powder from Nepal

No comments: